Ultimately, spring will feel and look like spring, and summer will eventually show up. Now is a good time to begin planning to entertain outdoors. Here are a few things to consider before picking dates and occasions:
- Measure the space. Assess the space you have for entertaining outdoors. You don’t have to be super meticulous but if you can get details such as square feet and inches available to entertain now, you can save some trouble later.
- Inventory your outdoor furniture. Look it over. If there is something missing, put it on a list of purchases. If something needs repairing, put it on a repair list. If something needs to be replaced, put it on a list.
- Decide on the mood of your space. How do you want people to feel when they are in that space? How do you want to feel in that space? Sit in the space and take in the view surrounding it. The mood will dictate everything from home events to furnishings to lighting.
- Designate spaces for different functions. This is a time-saving activity. For small events at home, consider where people will sit to talk and relax, eat, drink, and even dance. For larger gatherings, visualize two or more sitting spaces for conversation, another area for eating, and an area for cooking. You probably want an area for a small bar or bar cart.
- Inventory electrical outlets and other outdoor utilities. Will you need to hire a contractor to add more outlets to your outdoor space? Do you use a gas grill? If so, you will need to assess the need there. Lighting is another electrical consideration. And wifi is important. Make certain all are up to entertaining speed.
- Oversee structural repairs. This is simple enough, because you don’t want to be hurt or see a guest hurt. Resealing a deck or cementing cracks in a patio could be in order.
- Assess lighting for all times of day. Choose lighting that is adaptable from dawn to dusk to dark.
- Create an inclement weather plan. Sometimes outdoor entertaining can be interrupted by rain or other elements. Be prepared in advance.
In our next blog post, we will share more about outdoor entertaining at home. Quick question: Did you know your event planner can assist you with the tasks above? It’s just another service we provide.